Translate

Sunday, May 15, 2011

A COWBOY'S PRAYER

.
.
This prayer/verse has been around for a while,
and many folks, particularly in the western U.S.A.,
are familiar with it, and may have a copy hanging
or taped up somewhere in the house.  It's used a lot
in memorial/funeral services.  But we're having
a number of overseas visitors to the blog lately,
and so we thought it a good idea to post it - 
it's well written; that's why it's still around.   
.
 A Cowboy's Prayer
.by Badger Clark
(Written for Mother)
 .
Oh Lord, I've never lived where churches grow.
I loved creation better as it stood
That day You finished it so long ago
And looked upon Your work and called it good.
I know that others find You in the light
That's sifted down through tinted window panes,
And yet I seem to feel You near tonight
In this dim, quiet starlight on the plains.
.
.

I thank You, Lord, that I am placed so well,
That You have made my freedom so complete;
That I'm no slave of whistle, clock or bell,
Nor weak-eyed prisoner of wall and street,
Just let me live my life as I've begun
And give me work that's open to the sky;
Make me a pardner of the wind and sun,
And I won't ask a life that's soft or high.
.
.

Let me be easy on the man that's down;
Let me be square and generous with all.
I'm careless sometimes, Lord, when I'm in town,
But never let 'em say I'm mean or small!
Make me as big and open as the plains,
As honest as the hawse between my knees,
Clean as the wind that blows behind the rains,
Free as the hawk that circles down the breeze!
.
.
.
.

Forgive me, Lord, if sometimes I forget.
You know about the reasons that are hid.
You understand the things that gall and fret;
You know me better than my mother did.
Just keep an eye on all that's done and said
And right me, sometimes, when I turn aside,
And guide me down the long, dim trail ahead
That stretches upward toward the Great Divide.
.
.
Here's A YouTube video of Johnny Cash
reciting the prayer, with Dutch subtitles.
.
.

No comments: